Sunday, July 28, 2013

Week of July 15, 2013: yanmars, starters and fuel filler hose

This past week I learned more about doing an engine service on a yanmar. This boat came in off of a tow for a plugged up fuel filter and possible air intrusion. I performed a fuel polish and filter change and while I was doing the filter change I noticed that the filter housings manual prime pump had a fuel leak at the seal for keeping fuel in. I changed the housing out and the boat was on its way. I also learned more about yanmar starting systems when another sailboat came in with a burned up starter. I was told the ignition got jammed and stayed in the start position for roughly 4 minutes. As you can see in my photo it got quite hot. I proceeded to order a new starter and I also checked his entire starting electrical system and found only the starter to be bad. Lastly, I learned about being very observant while doing any work on a boat. While I was installing a battery for a gentleman I found a very worn out fuel filler hose. I proceeded to tell the customer and got the ok to replace it.

Hours: 48
Hours to date: 226







1 comment: