Monday, May 27, 2013

Week of May 20, 2013: hydraulic testing, welding, riding lawn mowers and the Northwestern crab boat

This past week I completed the first part of my hydraulics assignment by using the Parker electronic pressure test gauge. It was enlightening to see how accurate the gauge is compared to an analog one. I learned how to properly hook up a test gauge and use it correctly. I also welded up a pin for an excavator. I had to weld a small piece of rod to the end of the pin to make a T-handle and then weld a piece of chain to that for a safety catch. On Friday, I has the opportunity to go and check out the Northwestern crab boat as seen on deadliest catch. We weren't able to see the engine room due to it being completely apart and getting re-powered. I did however get to see some of the drivetrain, the wheel house, the controls and I got a full tour of the whole boat. Today I got to fix a riding lawn mower. The problem had to do with it not turning over. So I diagnosed the battery and it was no good. So I replaced it. I then turned to the signal wire for the starter solenoid and found bad connections. After cleaning everything up including the very small brake switch, I was able to get it running. In the near future I will probably rebuild the carburetor.

Hours: 50
Hours to date: 333















2 comments:

  1. Excellent post and it also comprises a lot of useful facts- Thanks for valuable information. Really enjoyed reading it. Please visit my MIL-STD 810 page and please leave comments.

    ReplyDelete