Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jan 7-11, 2013: the torque hub

This past week I have been doing some general work around the shop, but one particular item that caught my eye again was the torque hub. I ended up asking a few questions and understanding that it is basically a differential on the end of the axle. It uses planatary gears to slow the speed of the sun gear to multiply it's output torque. I had sort of a "click" in my brain. That moment when it just made sense. I had seen them before, but never put two and two together.

Hours: 16
Hours to date: 100

1 comment:

  1. "I ended up asking a few questions and understanding that it is basically a differential on the end of the axle."

    Here I am going to have to disagree with your use of the word "differential".

    Please see this video. Be patient, it all comes together at 2 minutes in.

    http://youtu.be/K4JhruinbWc

    "It uses planatary gears to slow the speed of the sun gear to multiply it's output torque."

    Agreed.

    "I had sort of a "click" in my brain."

    I get those too. (;

    ReplyDelete