Sunday, November 4, 2012

Oct. 30- Nov. 2, 2012: Computers, Brakes and Hydraulics

This past week was quite the learning experience. To start with, I finished my computer diagnostics assignments. We were told to work with a laptop and software to identify trouble codes and working sensors on a series 4600 international engine. It was intriguing to see all the movement on the screen after seeing it run at idle, high rpm, shutdown and the engine off. We also tested some sensors by unplugging them and seeing if a trouble code would arise on the laptop. I also learned about the brakes on this international. The truck we were working on was a Penske rental truck with hydraulic brakes. Whenever we wanted to use the software to interface with the vehicle we had to turn the key to on and it would always make the sound of an electric motor running. It's kind of hard to see in the photos, but it turns out that in the event of a engine failure it has an electric motor that creates hydraulic pressure for the hydro boost brakes. This enables safe operation of the brakes even if the engine isn't working. Very interesting to find out and learn about. I also did some hydraulic troubleshooting at work. I was working on a scissor lift that had a hydraulic leak. I was soon to find out that it had a old o-ring around on of the many valves on the manifold. I also was able to open my tilt sensor from a boom lift and see how it works. More pictures will be up soon.

Hours: 40
Hours to date: 299

1 comment: